Saturday, December 31, 2011

Why dimes from Heaven?


Here I go again...trying to keep up with another Blog. I've started a few in the past but never had the motivation or interest to keep it going. I'm hoping this time, I've come across something that will last!
....as for the whole "dimes from Heaven" thing...let me just share a bit of the history behind that. I was born and raised Catholic and have always had a belief in God and have made church and prayer a part of my life. I'm also a very sensible person and always try to come up with the practical reasons behind things. Throughout my life however, I have some experiences that I cannot explain...although I do try....I just chalk them up to "life's little mysteries."
In March 2009, my life changed dramatically when my mom passed away to a very short battle with cancer. She was not just my "mom" but my best friend...the one person who I could count on to be there when I needed her...to talk to, laugh and cry with....we shared a home for 19 years...just the two of us after my father passed away. Of course when she died, I tried to reach out to her...to get some kind of "sign" that she was OK and that she was still there with me. At first, I would find little safety pins in unusual places. My mom loved to sew and she always had a safety pin tacked onto her robe, or sweater...just in case. These safety pins must have been her way of saying, "I'm OK..." The safety pins stopped showing up and then I noticed something ELSE. I would find dimes...in strange places. At first it was just a dime on the seat of my car, or in the parking lot at work....not a penny, or a quarter or a nickle...always a dime. Then one morning after an emotionally draining evening...I went down in the garage and found 10 dimes on the ground by my car. I couldn't believe it! I picked them up and stuck them in my pocket. Throughout that day, I would hear them jingle and think of my Mom. That was about two years ago...and I've never found that many dimes in one pile since...but I do still find them..every now and then...on my car seat, on the floor in the kitchen...just random places. When I do find them, I pick it up and look up the sky and say "thanks Mom!"
Yesterday, I dropped a friend off for an out patient procedure and had about an hour to wait for her. I drove over to the Barnes and Nobel and browsed through the books. I picked up one on dream interpretations and bought myself a cup of coffee....while I waited for the call. It was a very nice, relaxing way to spend the time. On my way out, there was a man standing there...he was an ordinary looking middle aged man..dressed in typical business attire....as I passed by him he asked, "do you have a dime?"....not sure if he was talking to me or not...I kept on walking. When I see people outside of stores asking for money, I try to give them a dollar and say a little prayer for them to myself....but this time I walked right past.....but as I walked away I was thinking about what he said...not "can you spare some change.." or "do you have any change to spare"...he specifically asked for a dime! I sat in my car and pulled a dollar bill out of my wallet. I thought I would just drive back to the front of the store and hand it to him. It had only been about two or three minutes...but he was already gone. I drove around the parking lot looking for him but he was nowhere to be found!
So, this is where the Blog comes in....this is my way of sharing a "dime"...with others. I'm going to try to update this at least weekly with stories of experiences I have had...things that may make you laugh, or cry...things that you may also have experienced...or things that may leave you wondering....how or why?
I think it will be a great way to lead into a new year!

14 comments:

  1. My mom died in 1996(depression=suicide) about 3 yrs after I started to "find" dimes. They were in places that were not random- in my apartment where I knew myself or my small son had not put there. the latest, just a couple weeks ago , on the driver seat of my car. Usually they seem to turn up when i am stressed,too busy, overworked- i know they are a message from mom, she was always so wise in her little sayings she would pass on to me. now i just smile and say "HI MOM" when I get one, I know she is "with me" and it is so comforting, especially when I'm feeling alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our son died in Nov. 2000. Within weeks my wife, our two daughters and I all started finding dimes. Thirteen years later and we are still finding them. Every dime we find goes into the safe. We don't look for them, it seems that they find us. Many times when things are going wrong, there they are just waiting for us to pick them up. And usually what ever problems we were experiencing seem to dissolve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom passed 19 2007 7 mos after a mesothelioma diagnosis. I started finding dimes shortly after, mostly in the laundry or parking lots. Sometimes in really off the wall places. Tonight, while working out at the gym, I found one by the leg weight machine. They are Always heads up. I miss her so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shortly after my Gran passed away I started finding dimes...not a lot but enough to catch my attention because they have always been in unusual spots or situations. When my father-in-law passed I looked down and there were two dimes so I knew they were both looking after me. Just recently we have moved two of our daughters in a house for their college years. The day we closed on the house there was a dime in the driveway and then when we moved in their furniture there was a dime on their welcome mat. Makes me feel comfort knowing they too are being watched over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On Mothers Day 2015 our daughter Amy took her own life. The next day we went to a little restruant to have breakfast. Under the table was a shiny dime. I bent over and picked it up and laid it on the table. A few minutes later I opened Facebook and the first thing that popped up was a message that read Coins from Heaven. It said when you find a coin it is a sign of a loved one letting you know they are with you and everything is ok. I grabbed that dime off the table and put it in my pocket. Our 15 year old son John found Amy. They were extremely close. On June 12 2016 he decided he no longer wanted to live and took his life. Our family is so devasted. That morning John asked my husband if he had a couple of pennies and my husband said no I'm sorry I don't have any coins. The next morning after John took his life we went back to that same restruant and as soon as we walked in the door I looked down in front of me and there lay 1 dime and four pennies. I just knew that was a sign from Amy letting us know that she was with John and they were ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping that maybe you could make one of your future blog posts about the incredible similarities in different people's dime stories..... in fact, I noticed several in just the few comments here!
    An uncanny amount of dimes are found in and around people's cars. On the seat, on the floor mats, (I have even found them in my engine compartment, on top of my car, and next to the gas pump when filling up).
    I have also noticed a lot found in parking lots, on asphalt, and on welcome mats! Also in and around laundry. Not quarters, not pennies, always dimes :)
    I also tend to find them in three's. And I smile and say hi to my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter encouraged me to look up dimes from heaven on Google because of the uncanny number of dimes I've been finding. I think it started before my dad died this spring. Interestingly, his illness has made me think often of my mom's passing. I never thought my dad or siblings gave mom the love and respect she deserved. I do think she was telling me to give dad the comfort she would have if she were here. The dimes are still coming. Thanks for listening!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a freelance writer on Florida's Treasure Coast. Last year I met a woman whose daughter died following a car crash on the way home from a college conference. After Ann Marie's death, family, friends and others began to find dimes - even Canadian dimes ! I featured her mom, Iris Romeo, in our local lifestyle magazine as the author of her book 'In God We Trust' (available on Amazon); it chronicles all the appearances of dimes by those who knew Ann Marie. The blessed thing is that the same night I completed the final edit, I found a dime on the floor at Walgreens. I have found a total of four, one being Canadian. I am honored to be among the circle of those who knew Ann Marie Romeo. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was led to your blog after having a good cry with a new found friend. I had hung up the phone and felt a dime fall on my pocket. That's the best way to explain it. It was after praying and realizing my life is constantly being moved by the Lord.

    Losing loved ones and the 9th anniversary of my soulmate passed just a few days ago. It was a nice thing to receive. When I was going through cat scan testing for stage 4 bladder cancer a dime appeared on the floor spinning like a prima ballerina. My eyes were a fixed on the floor its twirling was endless. But it made me feel filled with wonder and less trepidation. So much mystery to this life that at times we need not analyze and just go for the ride. Your article was refreshing! Thank you. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Dad recently passed away on March 7, 2018 after a long battle with Alzheimer’s. The 5-6 days leading up to his death were especially agonizing for us along with my Dad as we stayed by his bed side day and night.
    Right after his passing on the 7th, I returned home from the hospital and was removing my boots when I noticed a dime on the floor mat in the spot where I typically put my boots.
    The next day my sister texted me and asked if I had been finding dimes. I stayed yes, that I had found a dime on the mat by my front door. She had found two dimes in odd places in her home. Just this morning when I woke, I went to the bathroom and found another dime next to the mat by the bathtub. I asked my husband if he had dropped the dime and he claims he did not.
    I believe full heartedly it’s my Dad letting me know he’s happy and at peace and that he’s looking out for me and my siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After my Poppy died, an elderly man that looked eerily like him came up to me in a parking lot and said " I was supposed to give you this". He placed a dime in my hand and walked off. Ever since I find dimes. No other change, just dimes. I have several dollars of dimes in my purse because I cant use them. They were a gift. These dimes have brought me great solace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My Mom passed away 2/1/18. It was always a tradition in our family to put dimes out under the doormat for New Year's Eve & my Mom would always say, "did you put your dimes out?". My parents were HS sweethearts, married 51 years, together for 54 & saved dimes to purchase their 1st vehicle. On the day that my Mom died, I walked into my house and on my entry mat was a dime. That was the 1st of dozens me, my Dad, son, and husband would come to find. My son played his first college baseball game & laying in the dugout by his bag, was a dime. Walking to his class on the first day of school, in his path was a dime. When my son was getting picking out his new vehicle,he was looking at the back seat & on the passenger floor was a dime. I find them as I'm walking. One day, I looked down walking out of work & there was a dime. I picked it up & told the lady next to me, "do you know how many dimes I have found since my Mom has passed away?"....I then kept walking out the door and about 5 steps out, another dime in my path! I definitely don't believe the dimes are coincidental, but placed for us to find to remind us that our loved ones are very much still around us & watching over us.

    ReplyDelete